Practising Safe Shopping During Black Friday
Black Friday may be an exciting time because there are so many bargains and a shopping frenzy to look forward to. However, it can also be a risky time for a variety of reasons. As a result, it is critical to practise safe purchasing and safeguard ourselves.
Here at Gift Acres Convenience Centre, our customers’ safety is our number one priority. As such, we encourage everyone to stay safe this Black Friday, so that everyone can have a great shopping experience.
Safe Shopping Tips
It turns out that we are not the only ones concerned with people’s safety during Black Friday, with even SAPS releasing a list of safety tips to keep yourself protected from thieves and scammers. Some of the advice they give includes:
- Cover the ATM keypad when typing in your bank pin, so that no one can get access to your banking details. Do this even if you think you are alone.
- Speaking of banking details, remember to put transaction limits on all your accounts. Not only will this prevent you from overspending on sales, but it will also ensure that no one else can access your money should your card get stolen.
- Consider online shopping. Even if there is a shopping centre near you, this may prove to be a better option. Not only will this prove to be safer, but it can also be more convenient in the long run. Don’t worry, you won’t be missing out. In fact, many of our stores have online shopping options and even have exclusive online Black Friday deals that you should look out for. This includes stores like Builders Express, Solomons Cycles, and Magic Dragon.
- Consider alternative payment options, like your cell phone or smartwatch. Many smart devices can easily be connected to your smart devices, and it means that others will not be able to access your money. This is because these payment methods tend to require more authentication, such as passwords and even fingerprints. You could also register for 3D secure or Mastercard SecureCode for that extra bit of banking safety.
- As much as we want to have faith in humanity, it is better to avoid accepting help from strangers. This includes making purchases or when you run into problems at an ATM. Rather shop with friends or family, or rather request assistance from your bank.
- Be wary of any strange notifications you may receive, especially during this time. If you receive an SMS or email saying that you have won a competition that you don’t remember entering, rather ignore it and certainly don’t provide them with any of your personal details.
This Black Friday, remember to incorporate all these safe shopping practices while scouring the aisles for all those amazing deals. If you would like to find out more about what Gift Acres has in store for Black Friday, contact us today.